Labels

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

YOUNG SAINT GIANFRANCO

 My sister Anna, who – according to my after-death hypothesis – will regret for a limited (by our mother) amount of time to have abandoned her older brother, scanned and sent me by email some pictures of my dad when he was young and used to climb the Adamello mountain, I put here a couple of very old pictures that show my dad – as always in his youth – smoking a cigarette while hanging out with friends who climbed with him that challenging mountain of rock.
I sent these pictures to my son - because he truly is my dad’s reincarnation – to see what a stud my dad/his grandpa (nonno) used to be and feel my dad to be still close to him. I love to have these pictures because they are from 1941 when photography was still very new and because they can really give a good idea about where my dad came from, in terms of character and determination (like mine) .
I can still remember the plenty Sundays spent hiking in mountains not far from where we were living and some of the stories he was telling us about those times for him, but what still sticks in my mind is about the time when the Adamello glacier had an exceptional melting due to the global warming and a great number of WWI soldiers surfaced still holding their weapons and wearing the uniforms, my dad looked really shocked and kept saying that he couldn’t count the times he had walked over that natural cemetery.
One of these pictures shows my dad holding two small cannon shells over his head which means that already in his times it must have been easy to find tools of a very bloody war that truly devastated all of Europe.

However, these pictures are really very precious to me not only because I can see my dad when he was young (he was already in his 40ies when I was born), him with his friends and what he loved to do his entire life, but very much too because my hero-son can see my dad a very long time ago close to a mountain that I’m sure he’d love to climb himself. One of the pictures in fact shows with a pen the line followed by my dad when he climbed there. Looking at old pictures is just like watching a documentary that you can make in your head just with what can be seen in the picture and I hope that my dad’s reincarnation is going to have as much joy as I’m having looking to the man who in a very short time was able to influence his character very, very much.



No comments: