Labels

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

TO BETTER CLASSIFY



A stroke is NOT a form of traumatic brain injury (TBI).

The word "traumatic" in the definition of TBI relates to the cause of the brain injury, not the fact that people feel traumatized from their brain injury. And of course, people with strokes or brain illnesses feel just as traumatized as people with TBI. But TBI's result from external forces such as being hit by a car or bullet or falling off of a ladder or roof top.
Strokes, tumors, and brain illnesses are not TBI's. The term "TBI survivor" has become so generalized, so popularized by the TBI community, that many people with a stroke or tumor think they are also TBI survivors. Not so. Instead, one is a stroke survivor, or a tumor survivor, or an anoxic brain injury survivor, or a meningitis survivor. Individuals with these other forms of acquired brain injury are not TBI survivors. However, they may claim to being ABI survivors. Everyone with an acquired brain injury (and that would include illness, stroke, toxin, trauma, or tumor may lay claim to being an ABI survivor.
Since I was riding my bicycle when I hit my head (or face) against the divider between the windshield and the front door of the car that drove against me, I’ve been classified since the beginning as a victim of TBI, however in my humble opinion all of my symptoms fall with much more precision if someone looks at my brain injury like it was due to a stroke.
I mean, if somebody breaks the femur no question is ever asked about the way the femur broke, it-s casted and everyone waits for the body to make the repair by itself, same if a brain gets injured, what's the difference if it's injured from any illness, a tumor or a fall from the roof or an accident like mine? The brain is injured, that’s all that counts, NOT the way it was injured.
It's primarily based on this concept that I started to do some internet research on this and 
Oh, my!..... the huge amount of expertise that neurology has accumulated in the past decades, this is yet another reason for my madness to be impossible to dissipate in any way whatsoever, I simply put here the very few websites dedicated to this matter, while I hope that my current neurologist will look at my blog, otherwise next time I’ll see her I'll have something new (to her) to discuss.


VERY long Youtube documentary on the brain

  1. http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/brain-injury/stroke-induced.html
  2. http://www.strokeassociation.org/idc/groups/stroke-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm_309716.pdf
  3. http://stroke.nih.gov/materials/rehabilitation.htm

No comments: