Labels

Saturday, January 16, 2016

TI VOGLIO BENE


The literal translation of this post title is “I want good/well for you” that in some ways it corresponds to the “I love you” in English.
However the Italian correct translation of “I love you” is “ti amo” that’s simply ansolutely never used between men (if so you are it’s between fags/homosexuals) while the “ti voglio bene” is used between men, women, children of the same sex, parents to children (parents can say “ti amo” to their own children, though) and various relatives.
It’s also very common to use the “ti voglio bene” between husband and his wife, my parents always said so and I used to do the same.
Italians transition from “ti amo” at the beginning of their relationship to the “ti voglio bene” when married for some time.
This subtle difference is what I intend to teach soon to my treasures, I don’t want them to say “ti amo” to their Italian relatives when in Italy, it would be way too weird and inappropriate, I can imagine already my princess saying “ti amo” to her cousins while there, neither I can think to my hero-son saying to my sister (Anna) that he loves her.
Both cases would be too weird and out of place, therefore I want them to know this from my blog and from me directly.
My princess called by herself my mother (nonna) yesterday speaking Italian and she made my mother walk 3 feet from the floor for the rest of the day, they couldn’t talk directly to each other before, either myself, Brent or her mother would have to be present with the phone on the speaker and all that my princess could say was (yes, yes, yes) or “si, si, si”.
I think that since she knows now that I’ll take her with me to Verona, she wants to feel better in speaking in the language that’s in her genes, my mother tells me that when she was here because I was in coma, my princess could form phrases in Italian so complex that my mother was very impressed and still now she tells me that not even Italian children of that age express themselves in that way.
I believe that I dream to bring my princess to Italy at least as much as she’s been dreaming to be there herself, I’m sure that we both will have a great time there and I’ll be very proud to introduce my real princess to the rest of her family in Italy, first however I’ll have to teach to her the correct way to use the verb love in Italian.


  1. http://becomingitalianwordbyword.typepad.com/becomingitalian/2009/06/ti-amo-ti-voglio-bene-1.html
  2. http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/9672/how-to-use-i-love-you
  3. http://italianencounter.com/en/the-meaning-of-ti-voglio-bene-in-italian/
  4. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ti_voglio_bene 

No comments: