Labels

Thursday, March 27, 2014

ON THE DEATH OF CONSUMERISM

When I was a teenager in Italy the USA used to be the dream country to be in, all looked beautiful and the strong consumerism made it the financial super-power of the entire world.
I even remember that as I was studying to earn my Ph.D. in economics, several of my professors at the University in Bologna (the oldest in the world for having been founded around the year 1.000 with medicine and chemistry as main matters to graduate on) used to make examples in their lessons with cases taken straight from the way how companies were running their businesses worldwide in those times, practically the managements of American companies was used to make teaching examples to explain what’s right to do.
However, I see now that the deep love for our consumerism and its way to act on issues or problems of all kinds has seemingly crashed against the wall of our current financial crisis that will be studied for decades going forward in the (futile) attempt to find “the guilty one”.
It’s my deep and firm belief that the “guilty one” is our love for consumerism and the forgetfulness for “higher concepts”, what I’m in fact seeing is that Hollywood and the movie industry in general have embraced this change of paradigm that can truly save our country with its economical superiority and strength.
It’s truly not a case that right in this time movies like God’s not dead and Noah, together with the “religious effort” of our president Obama to bring religion and faith in God back on the front pages of our newspapers that we cannot simply dismiss these contemporary events as meaningless random episodes in our history.

As the man of faith I’ve always been I’m very confident in the sure financial recovery of our country as well as I have very gloomy feelings for half of South Europe, but I best stop now with my forecasting attitude before I may regret what I write.




No comments: