Labels

Saturday, May 04, 2019

THE HOLOCAUST AND MY EXTENDED FAMILY IN ITALY





 As I continuously watch movies with my Prime account, I stumbled today into the movie entitled “swimming in Auschwitz” and while I’m watching it a very big flow of memories started to form in my mind. These memories are so important and personal (closely related to the Lingiardi family) that pressed me to make this post dedicated primarily to my 2 treasures.
In fact my 2 grandfathers both in my father’s and mother’s side had interesting stories about their lives during WWII .
-      Vittorio
My grandfather on my father’s side was a civil engineer and when he joined the army during the war, he was officer already, was sent to Greece with the purpose of building bridges and protective walls, I remember that my father (Vittorio’s son) told me that Vittorio was captured by the German army when the Germans invaded Greece, Vittorio ended up  on one train travelling to Auschwitz (or Dachau?), but before the train’s arrival, he was able to escape and pretty much walked for 2.000 miles - in the middle of WWII - back home (Brescia IT, where I was born).
What my dad and I could never wrap our heads around is the fact that, aside from the fact he walked that long – during the war – never stopping, when he arrived at the front door of his home, his wife (Carolina, or “nonna di Brescia”, we used to call her) opened the door to see her husband as a man who had lost more than half of his body weight (from about 220 pounds down to 90 pounds) she couldn't recognize him and he died less than one week later due to heart attack (= stroke) leaving his wife Carolina, with the 3 children they had generated; my dad’s brother Alfredo (zio - uncle Dino – C.E.O of Alfa Romeo for 25+ years) and sister – Giulia (zia - aunt Giulia, married to Dante whose children are my cousin Paolo – accomplished orthopedist and Antonella, married with another Paolo, the funniest  Ph.D. in mechanical engineering I’ve ever met).


- Renato

My grandfather on my mother’s side was the train-station chief in a small town not too far from Venice – where my mother was born and lived the first 25 years of her life.
This is the grandpa I can remember well, we used to visit him at least twice each month where nonno Renato and nonna Pupi (his wife) lived, in downtown Venice.
Renato used to practice boxing in his youth, therefore he still had in the bedroom the weights to lift for exercise.
“Nonno Renato” used to tell me about his research in the origins of his family (Righetti) and he had found that one of his great-great-great was a “Doge” of Venice, which means king (Doge = king) of Venice and my mother still tells me today – when asked - about her experiences during WWII i.e.
Her dad Renato being the chief of a train station was often going in the fields where the trains filled with Jewish people were transiting toward concentration camps and - using a hammer-like tool he was able to unlock the doors of the train-wagons so that every Jewish individual imprisoned in it was let free to run away.
Nobody can tell how many hundreds of lives he was able to save from certain violent death, but I can say is that he died while sleeping, one afternoon, with a smile on the face……
My mother always tells me of the terror she had when the US bombers were flying over railroads to destroy them with bombs.
She was less than 10 y/o, so every time air bombings were taking place she and her parents with the 2 brothers (Mario and Gino) and 1 sister (Francesca) would run in the middle of the nearby fields, since my mother was very young, she used to look at the flying bombers that would start to release bombs well before being over their targets – to account for speed and gravity, resulting in my mother being terrified to scream at the top of her lungs because she imagined the bombs falling over her head. Given that the holocaust bestiality took place more than 70 years ago, less and less people remain alive as days go by, I strongly believe that we, the people who still remember those days - maybe from their parents like me - must keep the knowledge of what we people can do, that no other animal on earth does, and this is the very reasons why this post is dedicated to my two treasures who are the very reason for my living is just like I'm in Auschwitz.... The internet is packed full of videos, pictures and written reports, mainly I believe to keep the memories of those times and of the people. 
I.e. when I was working at W,L.Gore & Assoc.  since the European headquarters are in Munich, and I was working at Gore Italy, I was based in Verona, so from there to Munich it was a simple drive of 2 hours (at 200 mph normal in IT but slow in Germany - DE ) to be at the EU headquarters where more than 50% of the employees there (my colleagues) were either the children or the nephews of Nazi's, including Thorger.....the EU business leader....I could easily say that he's the descendant of some high ranking SS .....but I never asked 😉


  1. https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/search/index.php?query=death+toll+holocaust
  2. https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/documenting-numbers-of-victims-of-the-holocaust-and-nazi-persecution
  3. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1992-05-07-9202100662-story.html
  4. https://www.ushmm.org/learn/introduction-to-the-holocaust
  5. http://endgenocide.org/learn/past-genocides/the-holocaust/
  6. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
  7. https://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/index-e.html





 

No comments: