Labels

Monday, December 11, 2017

MY DAD

I’m hoping that as you read this, you’ll be jumping from the chair you are sitting on, just like I’d do myself.
In fact last time I saw my dearly beloved dad was in August 2014, 2 months later he passed away and with my greatest surprise he told me that since he had seen each and every one of his relatives – including his parents  – pass over with their souls leaving their bodies, he was absolutely sure that life doesn’t end with our death, he even said “I’m actually curious to see where we go after we die and that’s why I’m not afraid of it” .
In truth I’m hoping to write a decent post here, because there truly are no words to describe what a great man my father was.
Aside from the fact that he know all about the “recent discoveries” of quantum physics I have a very clear memory too of him saying often what Mr. Lavoisier was saying hundreds of years before my dad’s birth, or that “nothing is neither created nor destroyed”, my dad did say this, kind of often actually.
Something else that was very often in his mouth was about the length of names, his first name was in fact somehow long and when put together with the last one (Gianfranco Lingiardi……19 letters!!!) he remembered it being a real nightmare having to write it all down when he was learning how to write (6 y/o) This is actually the very reason why my sister and I have short names – Carlo and Anna.
I have so many beautiful memories of him that I could write an entire book with them, I’m just going through few highlights that I’m going to put here in no order:
·         My two treasures rather than calling him “grandpa” they always used the Italian, “nonno”, and they both loved their nonno very much.
·         My dad loved their mother and my now ex-wife very much too, to the point that he was saying that she was like another daughter to him, or Anna’s sister.
·         At that time the currency in Italy was the Lira that had the exchange rate was 1 Lira = 1.8 USD, almost the opposite of what we have today that the EU has replaced the Lira, 1 EU = 1.12 USD.
Regardless, he gave very much money to us whenever I bought every home we owned here in the USA. I recently figured out that in total over the years my dad's contribution to my purchasings of homes here in the USA came to a total of $1mil, just like if your son goes to live in any European state you decide to help him by gifting to him 1 mil of EU, given that now the exchange rates are the exact opposite of what they were about 30 years ago.
This was his way to show his support and show happiness for my way of living and working so far away, especially for my American career (as he used to call it).
He also sent his money to pay for the divorce attorney, but I’m not going to elaborate on the reasons why he felt it important to take care of it directly.
Someone else I’m not going to talk about is the father of my former wife who simply smoked away his own life.
I remember of the 2 or 3 times he came to visit his daughter when we lived in DE, his biggest (and sole) excitement was that the Marlboro 100’s were much cheaper in DE – due to taxes - compared to CA, in fact I remember gifting 3 or 4 bars with 20 packs each of Marlboro cigarettes to take back to Fresno where he lived.
I remember too that while he was visiting we used to make him go to smoke outside the backyard on the wood balcony we had there, since his after dinner meant smoking about 30 cigarettes, I was told that right before he died, and he lived in his garage smoking like a chimney and popping morphine pills like they are candies.

My plan used to be to take the way my dad was with me as the example to act of the way I wanted to be for both of my treasures……….talk about my misunderstanding Jesus when he said that to remain alive would surely be painful.
Hang in here anyway there are two more posts to come, one about who God truly is and another about love (both God and love, very close to each other)



  1. https://www.chemteam.info/Equations/Conserv-of-Mass.html
  2. https://themoneyconverter.com/USD/EUR.aspx
  3. https://www.ofx.com/en-us/forex-news/outlook/usd/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIws65q52D2AIVD8JkCh318g8iEAMYAiAAEgJofPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMvX8NWdg9gCFcTOZAodHvUKBA 

No comments: