Labels

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

REALITY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER

While I’ve been talking about how much reality is created by our mind (or consciousness) I came across this concept (as expressed in one of the dozens of movies I watch all day long) that states that we all believe that we observe reality, things as they are, but what actually happens is that the mind interprets what the eyes see and gives it meaning; it’s only at this point, when meaning is assigned, that we can truly say we have seen something. In other words, what we see is as much in the mind as it is in reality. If you consider that the mind of a person from one culture is going to be different in many ways from the mind of a person from another culture, then you have the explanation for that most fundamental of all cross-cultural problems: the fact that two people look upon the same reality, the same example of behavior, and see two entirely different things.
Any behavior observed across the cultural divide, therefore, has to be interpreted in two ways:
  ·         the meaning given to it by the person who does the action
  ·         the meaning given to it by the person who observes the action
Only when these two meanings are the same do we have successful communication, successful in the sense that the meaning that was intended by the doer is the one that was understood by the observer. This idea makes me think very much to the losers who made my assessments, what the heck did they see (or understand) about me and my way to think and being logic?
They surely have seen someone else…….there must exist some logical reason to explain what they saw in me……….can’t tell if it’s my convinced belief in at least try once the therapy that I’m tired to name or if it truly works for TBI or because they didn’t want me to turn into a bum, living on the street.
These bums must have a pretty high social cost, because I don’t see any in court when I’m there, in fact the only people I see are those with lots of money – like young kids with very large amounts of money either from inheritance or as a payoff from some accident they had – practically not only physically (only) disabled people like me but derelict young kids who have no idea of what to do with all of their money.
Talk about having a great job as a conservator, you can manage very large wealth without having gone through any kind of formal and superior education and therefore having less than zero experience of working in companies of various sizes, in different fields and geographical locations (even if just here in the USA).
But this idea of reality being in the mind of the beholder makes me think again that it’s us with our expectations and ways to look at things that do influence reality, or make new things happen.
Do any of my readers know that I think of good things to happen to both my two last neuropsychologists and my two conservators? I best not say what I’ve been thinking because it’s way too related to what I had said before about our own God/consciousness and to what Jesus showed to us when dyeing on the cross.


  1. http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/reality_is_in_the_eye_of_the_beholder
  2. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cultural-evolution/201010/why-meaning-is-in-the-eye-the-beholder
  3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_tunnel 



No comments: