Labels

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

SAINT GIANFRANCO

This picture was scanned and sent by email to me that shows my dad in 1941, when he was 15 y/o. I put it here to say how much I miss my dad, not just because he always supported me in anything I ever wanted to do but very much too because he gave money to me and Michele every time we needed some monetary help, even when we never asked, I still remember well that every time he came to visit me with my mother. They both had their pockets and suitcases packed full of dollar bills that they wanted us to have but didn’t want to use more “official methods” (through banks) in order to save money and to become too visible.
Every single house I bought here in the USA was partly paid with my dad’s help and every time I felt to have gotten in trouble he was always ready to both listen to me and give me either advice or money, if needed, for example when I was fired by the Italian company I was working at here in the USA he gave me the advice to have that company treat my case like it’s normally done – according to the laws – in Italy.
Since I had no knowledge of such laws I had to find the way to learn them by myself and when I felt competent, I hired an attorney in DE who listened to what I could teach him about those Italian laws and was able to deal directly with the company’s attorney based in Italy to apply those laws that became worth to me of one month’s salary for every year I worked in that company.
My payoff was so large that I was able to give a very large down payment for the lovely house in NH that gave to me, Michele and my two treasures the best experiences that are now our most joyous memories.
Anyway , getting back to my dad, he taught me by example that nothing is impossible if you believe in yourself, your abilities and clarity of mind.
He was at work, far away from where we lived from Monday through Friday, including the nights – he used to say at a high class hotel that had assigned to him a “special bedroom”, in addition - given that he was the European CEO of the American agricultural tractors company Massey Ferguson – he was often away for entire weeks because of visiting the manufacturing facilities in France, Belgium, England and the Netherlands.
His trips to the American headquarters in Toronto were very few and once he took me with him, I’m not even begin to say here what still today makes me laugh to tears, suffice to say that we went to a dinner in a home of one of the managers of one plant we were at that morning and my dad wasn’t too happy with the home-made food.
At the end of the dinner the manager’s wife  presented to the people around the table what looked very much like a chocolate cake, therefore my father asked for a very large portion of that “cake”, given that – this far – he had eaten as little as possible.
What looked like chocolate turned out to be peanut butter and as soon as my dad realized that he didn’t have chocolate in his mouth……no words can describe the desperation in his face as he was trying to spit the huge mouthful of peanut butter cake without being too visible.
Thinking about it as I’m writing it now makes me laugh so hard that it’s difficult to hit the right key on my keyboard, I call this an “historical moment” in my dad’s life.
Anyway since he knew that we all have the soul and told me to be curious to experience the afterlife (few years BEFORE quantum physics started to study it) I’m sure that he’s now in heaven with both of his parents (his father had died when he was 18 y/o) brother, sister and the plenty other relatives who had me meet for the major part.
Few weeks before he died he gave me a very serious talk to let me know that as his son I made me very proud to be my dad and all I could say was that he too made me proud to have him as my dad.
Now I’m thinking that – even if I’ll be around about 30 more years my job to have my son become proud of me as his dad isn’t going to be easy at all, but now that I’ve learned to be patient, I’m simply going to wait without pushing on the accelerator as I always did.


  1.  https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199309/fathers-and-sons
  2. http://www.cnbc.com/id/100817186
  3. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ken-solin/father-son-respect_b_1346137.html
  4. http://www.shmoop.com/fathers-and-sons/pride-quotes.html

No comments: