Labels

Monday, January 26, 2015

MY DUAL NATIONALITY

Since I was born in Brescia, Italy I'm Italian and regardless that I had to renounce my nationality when I naturalized here as American citizen of the USA because this country doesn't want to recognize any other birth country that this one, I'm a dual citizen (American + Italian) for Italy but I'm only American for the USA.
This brings me to say that all we think, have, learn, appreciate since our birth originated in Italy, arts, science, democracy, finances and even religion (catholic) come from the country where I was born 51 years ago, just look at what every important museum in this country has on display, what every theater programs in the show schedule, the materials used to build some important and beautiful buildings in towns in this country and you are going to have just one word in your mind: ITALY!
My today's post could be very long and articulated, but I don't want to bore my readers with too obvious concepts and ideas, suffice for me to say what I just said, what matters most for me is to say that while Italy is the country of origin of very many beautiful artistic and scientific concept it's also the country with the worst possible government, I cannot even remember how many special elections have taken place in my mother country, nor how many presidents and dominant parties have been in power over the last few hundreds of years, even now the current president (the one after the magnate Berlusconi) has resigned and the entire country is in the "guessing mode" that's been its way of functioning almost since the time when the very first government was formed (XVIII century).
I've been posting here too about the other country (or kingdom) located in Italy besides San Marino (unique in this field) that's the Vatican kingdom with its emperor (the pope), its army(the clergy, or the hierarchy of the roman Catholic church ) and its huge wealth (donations plus the many art treasures made and donated from great artists inspired by what the Vatican represents and stands for.
I truly can't tell where my interest and fascination with the history of my country comes from, but I can say with great confidence that there exists very little that I never saw or visited while living in Italy.
I'd say that it was just my luck that my mother was born in Venice and my grandparents (her parents) lived there for their entire lives, so I'd be visiting them in Venice at least once each month until I moved here in 1989, in addition I still have many relatives (cousins and uncles + ants) who live either in Venice downtown or very close to it (Lido).
After I was married with Michele and before we moved to MD we went several times to Venice and I still have pictures of those trips and times.
It's a very important objective of mine to bring my two treasures to Italy, go to historical locations/towns and have them get to know well all their relatives who live in that country, I often tell to them that since I'm their true father, there's a piece of that country in their genes, so once there it will be for them like going back home, in addition they both can speak Italian, with my son  surely ahead of his sister in this field, mostly because he remembers having been there when I was in Italy for work meetings, he'd come with me and Michele and they both used to travel around while I was working. Since I own the very upscale residence where my parents lived for many years (and my mother still occupies) my treasures will inherit this great place that's few steps away from the Saint Zeno church, built in the year 1.000, and this is going to give a target to go to and visit for their future vacations.
Of course my sweetest memories of living in Italy are all related to the times when Michele and I were living together and I had just started my work career, in example I have fun memories of her taking courses of Italian language in Bologna with a woman as teacher who would go with her in an Italian bar (cafe) and drink several glasses of wine in the middle of the day, in addition her driving skills with the car I had passed on to her (Fiat Panda) and the almost F1 speeds se would take driving in the hill roads around Bologna, I have friends that still mention their panic in those moments.
In a way I'm proud of being a naturalized USA citizen, but I'm proud to still be Italian too, with all of my culture, experience and knowledge that only being born in Italy and being myself I can have, in fact my own sister, her husband and very many of my friends never accumulated a level of experience and knowledge like mine. Sadly my beautiful Michele too has remained to be the thoroughbred Werney she was born to be, no matter how much I had dreamt to have turned her into an Italian Lingiardi too, her recent behaviors have brought to light her innermost genetics.
However, I don't mind at all that she's kept my last name, it's more clear for my treasures and my hopes to have influenced her in the Lingiardi direction will die with me.

  1. http://egiv.hubpages.com/hub/The-Difference-Between-Italians-and-Italian-Americans
  2. http://www.kathyandpeterinsicily.com/whatdoesitmean.html
  3. http://www.silive.com/opinion/columns/index.ssf/2014/09/do_you_have_roots_in_the_boot.html
  4. http://www.scordo.com/2010/08/on-what-it-means-to-be-and-live-like-an-italian-american.html
  5. http://www.italiancenter.net/pdfs/newsletter_archives/2005-03.pdf



No comments: