Labels

Thursday, October 03, 2019

WE ARE STILL MONKEYS (part 2)



Yesterday I watched a documentary about the discovery, underwater of a very antique ship that contains instruments that had to be sent to a lab in London, to be scientifically analyzed to be sure that what the members of the underwater archeological team had found in a Greek vessel deep underwater – were right or wrong in their guesses.
Well, it turns out that the London researchers couldn’t understand how such very modern and accurate navigation instruments could have be imagined to be useful (especially for navigation) but be constructed too…….it turns out that people in those times people could use bronze and lead pretty much in the same way we have been using steel, aluminum and fiberglass in the past couple of centuries.
I said to myself: “Boy! What an interesting way start a research that can help me get involved with something both interesting and exciting today!!.”
In fact, I still remember well that when I was in high school (Liceo for me) I was “diseased” with the study of the ancient Greeks, but not just because of its philosophers …… (who created philosophy that we still study and use today, two thousand years later) But – I just learned that we knew that our planet is round 1.400 years before Columbus took his trip to the west to find the country that today is named after another Italian …A.Vespucci.
All I can say is that to my (injured) brain with its intelligence, culture and knowledge in history looks like not only keeps repeating itself but that as time goes by, our ability to think and imagine is much worse when compared to that of the people who lived 2.000 to 5.000 years ago…..not to mention our closest predecessors, the Neanderthal who lived just 250.000 years ago (my injured brain is unable to conceive such length of time).
After having spent a fair number of hours reading material available to all I can say that we – as a civilization - with all our technology, science and ability to modify for our own benefit everything we see and touch around ourselves, have developed in circles…….I’m sure that this will be obvious from the Youtubes and links posted here.

  1. https://www.jstor.org/stable/4181654?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
  2. https://www.iflscience.com/space/the-greeks-proved-the-earth-isnt-flat-a-very-long-time-ago-without-any-modern-equipment-heres-how/
  3. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/ancient-greeks-proved-earth-round-eratosthenes-alexandria-syene-summer-solstice-a8131376.html
  4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth




No comments: